Epic heroes meet up in unified national chocolate series
Just ahead of Estonia's Independence Day, Kalev updated its popular 300 gram Kalevipoeg, Kalev and Linda chocolate bar wrappers and integrated them into a new national epic series.
The Kalev and Linda packages, which have been altered numerous times over the years, now have a design more similar to that of Kalevipoeg's packaging, which has remained unchanged for 40 years.
Due to the frequent package design alteration, the wrappers of Kalev and Linda chocolate bars have not stuck in consumer's minds as much as Kalevipoeg. It therefore seemed logical to join all three epic hero-inspired products into a unified national epic series," Kalev's marketing director Anne Tääkre explained.
Designer Maret Põldre from the advertising agency Identity, along with creative director Ionel Lehari drew the new Kalev and Linda based on the Kalevipoeg motif created by one-time Kalev head artist Ilse Rosenfeld-Lepikson. A small explanatory note has been added to the back of each package, briefly introducing each epic character.
"We've failed to highlight our national epic tale to tourists. Kalevipoeg, Kalev and Linda are national gift chocolates, which on the one hand are perfect for introducing visitors to Estonian national mythology and on the other hand for reminding locals of our ancient past and national epic which describes it," said Tääkre.
The oldest of the epic chocolate bars is Kalevipoeg, which was brought into production by Kalev ca 50 years ago. Kalevipoeg also is one of the most purchased chocolate bars in Estonia, according to consumer studies.
The Kalev chocolate bar was added to the confectionery company's selection a few short years after Kalevipoeg entered the market, i.e. in the late 1960s. The newest of the epic chocolates is Linda, but even this sweet has been enjoyed for 30 years.
- Birgit Õigemeel is the first Estonian Eurovision Song Contest singer to have her own chocolate
- Estonia's most beloved brand continues to be Kalev
- Kalev presented the Estonia Opera Theatre with a marzipan likeness of the building for its 100th jubilee
- Kalev has renewed its chocolate kitchen at a cost of over 3 million euros
- Kalev confectionery restored its historical business name AS Kalev
- Epic heroes meet up in unified national chocolate series
- On Valentine's Day, remember your friend as well as your sweetheart
- Kalev's Christmas orders have increased exponentially
- Kalev launched two new chocolate bars with nuts
- New Maiuspala candy box arriving in stores
- Kalev brings Mesikäpp ice cream into the market
- Kalev organises a travelling exhibition about the history of Estonian confectionery industry
- Kalev Désirée chocolates were acknowledged as the Best Estonian Confectionery Product 2011
- Consumers consider Kalev to be the best Estonian trademark
- Marzipan lovers have a reason to rejoice!
- The best gifts for Valentine’s Day are the sweet ones
- The new marketing director of Kalev Chocolate Factory is Anne Tääkre
- Kalev returns to its historical home
- Kalev says no to trans fatty acids in their products
- Kaido Kaare new general manager of Kalev Chocolate Factory